When her ailing husband got too sick to work,
Elizabeth Deitz added a few rooms to her private home which was constructed
in 1840, turned it into a hotel and named it the St. Rita after her patron
saint in 1870.
She prayed to St. Rita to guide her into making a living for herself
and her family.
It was over a hundred years ago that "Ma Deitz" started the Hotel,
which she rented only to clergy. The hotel is a resting place for travelers
and a landmark that many tourists return to year after year.
The lounge is filled with antique furniture, and its walls are dotted
with old photographs of the hotel; the March 1962 storm; and some scenes
that few people around today can remember.
The Hotel has had three owners over the years. The third and present
owner remodeled according to the changing whims. Some rooms have private
baths; the others have a common bath in the hall, all have running water.
We preserved a lot of the old and combined some of the new.
The Hotel is on the National Registry of Historic Places, so you cannot
change it completely.
At the turn of the century, the front of the Hotel served as Beach
Haven's first post office.
The Hotel's Engleside Avenue location, the highest spot on the island,
has protected it from any storm damage. The oak building also has the only
concrete foundation dated prior to World War II.
This structure, among many historic homes on the Island, have touched
the lives of those who have spent time under their roofs during the past
century or so. They have become special to guests as well as owners who sense
(or know) what stories the walls could tell.
Marie Coates, Innkeeper
St. Rita Hotel
127 Engleside Avenue
Beach Haven, NJ 08008
Phone: (609) 492-9192 or (609) 492-1704